Opportunity DescriptionMaintenance II
The purpose of this positon is to perform semi-skilled and/or skilled tasks and routine activities in constructing, repairing, installing , maintenance and landscape work for town parks and facilitates, street trees, public landscaping, buildings and facilities, water distribution and sewer collection system, street and street signage maintenance program, and sidewalks and pathway system, gutters and drainage facilities, waste collection and disposal and other activities supporting the Operations department. This includes manual labor, the use of hand tool and small equipment, and the use of vehicles and large motorized equipment.
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
1. Maintain municipal-owned grounds and landscaping by:
a. Install and maintain park improvements such as playground equipment.
b. Pick up refuse including household, yard waste, bulk items and transport to appropriate locations.
2. Performs street maintenance such as snow removal, spreading sand or salt, patching potholes and repairing curbs.
3. Operates a variety of vehicles and motorized equipment including trucks one ton or larger, dump (gravel) trucks, garbage compactor, sand spreader, small and large rotary mowers, jackhammers, rubber tired loaders, tractors, small rollers, Zamboni, or any other equipment owned by the Town.
4. Assists with maintenance of vehicles and Operations equipment such as mowers, tractors, leaf blowers, chainsaws, or any other equipment owned by the Town.
5. Cleans and maintains buildings.
Minimum Qualifications: High school diploma or equivalent plus three (3) years as a Maintenance I Worker or equivalent directly related work experience. Must possess and maintain a valid Class 5 Driver’s License. Applicants that possess and maintain a minimum valid Class 5 Driver’s License, with Air endorsement, shall be given preference.
The following certificates are considered an asset, and employees are encouraged to complete:
• Class 1 Water Treatment
• Class 1 Water Distribution
• Class 1 Wastewater Treatment
• Class 1 Wastewater Collection
• Class 2 Water Treatment
• Class 2 Water Distribution
• Class 2 Wastewater Treatment
• Class 2 Wastewater Collection
• Refrigeration Operators’ Certification Program
• Pool Operators Certification
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
(The knowledge, skills and attitudes required for satisfactory job performance)
The incumbent must have proficient knowledge in the following areas:
• Demonstrated experience using common hand tools and standard equipment used in maintenance work.
• Able to recognize occupational hazards in work activities and take safety precautions.
• Ability to perform heavy manual labor for extended periods of time under adverse weather conditions.
• Ability to operate heavy equipment in a safe, effective and efficient manner.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public and to deal with public relations problems courteously and tactfully.
• Ability to understand and effectively carry out verbal and written instructions.
• Ability to communicate effectively with other members of the staff, supervisor, and the public.
• Ability to work the allocated hours of the position, including the ability to be “on Call” weekends or assigned, if required by the Employer.
• Ability to perform routine safety and maintenance inspections of vehicles.
The incumbent must demonstrate the following skills:
• excellent interpersonal skills
• team building skills
• analytical and problem solving skills
• decision making skills
• effective verbal and listening communications skills
• attention to detail and high level of accuracy
• effective organizational skills
• effective written communications skills
• time management skills
The incumbent must maintain strict confidentiality in performing the duties of the Maintenance II. The incumbent must also demonstrate the following personal attributes:
• be honest and trustworthy
• be respectful
• possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
• be flexible
• demonstrate sound work ethics
(The unavoidable, externally imposed conditions under which the work must be performed and which create hardship for the incumbent including the frequency and duration of occurrence of physical demands, environmental conditions, demands on one’s senses and metal demands.)
(The nature of physical effort leading to physical fatigue)
This is moderate/heavy work requiring the exertion of up to 100 pounds of force. Physical activities include climbing, balancing, stooping, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, reaching, fingering, grasping, and repetitive motions. Also includes the necessity to communicate by talking, hearing/listening. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus, for operation of machines and equipment, determination accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observation of general surroundings.
Work performed may require walking or standing to a significant degree on rough terrain or may involve sitting for long periods with pushing and pulling of arm and/or leg controls.
Work may require strenuous manual labor including, but not limited to digging, shoveling, sweeping, raking, hauling, crawling, bending, lifting, pushing, pulling, twisting, and climbing.
(The nature of adverse environmental conditions affecting the incumbent)
The employee is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions including, extreme cold, extreme heat, noise, vibration, hazards, frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, various atmospheric conditions, dust/dirt, grease/oils, toxic or caustic chemicals, paint fumes, fumes and airborne particles, moving parts of machinery, risk of electrical shock and extreme weather conditions. Work is generally outdoors.
RATE OF PAY: $18.18 - $20.61 per hour
CLOSING DATE: November 29, 2019
How to ApplyPLEASE APPLY IN WRITING TO:
THE TOWN OFFICE
Box 820, 401-3rd St. W
OR BY E-MAIL TO
NOT LATER THAN 5:00 P.M. ON THE CLOSING DATE (November 29, 2019)
We would like to thank everyone for their interest, however, only those candidates that have been selected for an interview will be contacted.