The origins of the Town of Shaunavon date back to 1913. On September 17, 1913, lots for the new town site were sold and within approximately 8 hours 370 lots were sold to ambitious individuals who wished to establish their businesses and residency in this new community. Rumours that the Canadian Pacific Railway would be establishing their divisional office for lines heading west to Lethbridge made purchasing lots in the area popular.
The original town site was puchased by the C.P.R. from the original land owners: William Ganley, Patrick Ganley and Thomas McNealy.
By November 27, 1913 Shaunavon became incorporated as a village with over 60 businesses and on November 15, 1913 the first school was opened. On October 27,1914 after continued growth this thriving village became the Town of Shaunavon.
The establishment of the Town of Shaunavon is a tribute to the early settlers and entrepreneurs who had the foresight and courage to venture into unknown territory. Along with their desire to establish a new community, they brought along with them their own stories and adventures. Their spirit and faith helped to create a thriving community. Shaunavon continues to be a great place to live!